CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »
Welcome- Come on in and stay awhile.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happy Feet


Happy Saturday everyone-

Confession: I have disagreeable feet. I have ridiculously high arches and as a result
plantar fasciitis. My heels are very sensitive and sore a huge chunk of the time- when I get up in the morning I gimp around like I'm 110 for the first few minutes- sad but also kid of a funny sight to behold. Apparently I'm somewhere between a size 81/2 and a 9, because often one is a bit too small and the other a bit too big. Oh also my left foot is bigger than my right. So as you might imagine I have a hard time finding shoes that feel good, fit, and aren't an abomination to the eyes.

I have worn my Saucony tennis shoes until they are almost falling apart because they feel really good. Today was the day to find a new pair and after 97 different brands, styles, and sizes one very long suffering sales clerk helped me find a good one. Thank you Sales Guy, you didnt complain, sigh loudly, or roll your eyes not even once. I hope you get a commission. Incase you're wondering what I wound up with: I highly recommend the
Easy Spirit Travel Time Fitness shoe.

I've been thinking about buying a pair of Sperry's but I tried some on today and they feel horrid. Several avid wearers have assured me the leather will stretch and form to my foot and I will be in love BUT I have a closet full of shoes that hurt me. Point in case: New balance shoes are highly suggested for my type of foot pain, I got a pair last year and they have never been comfortable.

Does anybody have a suggestion for foot comfort? I'm all ears. . . . . and feet.

9 comments:

themrs said...

oh! i wish i could help... but i have no advice (that's a first!) i have size 7 average feet so i can pretty much wear anything. but i still have LOTS of shoes that are uncomfortable but i wear them anyway cause they're so cute

marci said...

I'm telling you...we were spun from the same cloth.

I too have PF, feet a half size apart....I also have paper-like skin on my feet, the slightest amount of moisture and I skip the blister mode and go straight to raw skin.

The PF has backed off after a year of constant discomfort with the use of one of those foot-stretching braces, a prescription insole in my sneaker (New Balance) and daily doses of Advil to bring down the inflammation.

I actually couldn't stand the brace over night, so I'd wear it during my evening "down" time in front of the tv. Strangely enough, I found if the sheets on my bed were tucked in tightly and if I was lying on my back with the sheet propping my foot up (toes stretched against the sheet), it gave me the same stretching benefits of the brace...and it didn't drive me crazy.

I don't know how long you've been suffering with the PF, but mine lasted about a year and a half and went away about as suddenly as it appeared.

The shoe inserts also take some getting used to, and never quite feel comfortable, but they do help. Plus, you can only really wear them with sneakers.

I think if it had gone on much longer for me I'd have been going in for massages or accupunture next.

Don't know if any of this helps, other than to know someone "knows" your pain. :)

Daisy said...

Hi Samantha!

My husband had this same foot problem. He did strecting excersizes before getting out of bed, got good fitting boots and orthotics from here:

http://d-med.com/orthaheel/index.html

He did this a few years ago and the problem disappeared. He still wears the orthotics.

There's a foot store in my area that specializes in fitting shoes. It's a franchize so maybe there is a similar one near you.

http://www.footsolutions.com/achieving_perfect_fit.htm

I hope this helps!

Daisy said...

The links didn't work so I'll try again:

http://d-med.com/orthaheel/index.html

http://www.footsolutions.com/achieving_perfect_fit.html

Daisy said...

I don't know why the links aren't working but maybe if you copy them to your browser they will.

Samantha@IW said...

Thanks Marci and Daisy! I will check out those links :)

Anya@IW said...

Sorry for the foot problems some of you and your loved ones have. Achy tootsies = not fun!

I don't love my feet -- they are kind of wide and 'big' (size 8 to 8 1/2) for my overall size (I am just a little over 5'2). I'd love to be a size 7 like TheMrs....!

As long as my feet get me where I am going, I will count my blessings!

MonicaW42 said...

After having surgery years back for cancer in my left foot, my feet have always been different sizes and it's hard finding shoes. Back in October, a dentist friend said I should check out Foot Solutions (don't know if there are any back east). I went in and found all types of shoes that actually fit and feel good. I love the fact that I don't have to buy two different pairs of shoes to have them fit. I also bought a foot massager that has a heat portion and rotates on the bottom of your feet. It helps out alot....

Samantha@IW said...

That stinks Monica! I am definitley going to look into foot solutions- but I'm thinking we don't have the here bc I've never heard of them before :(